Policing

From: Wilson, Michael (mkwilson@uslec.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 10:28:21 EST

Hello everyone-

I am wondering how many providers out there are using the Juniper to police
their customer's inbound Internet traffic. I have been doing some testing
on this, and would like to hear anyone else's experiences on how they are
setting up their policer parameters for different connection speeds and what
kind of throughput results they get. We are using ATM logical interfaces
for each of our customers, and I am testing a policer on the output of one
of these interfaces. For a 768k connection, my parameters are

if-exceeding
bandwidth-limit 768k
burst-size-limit 15000
then
discard

My tests consist of 2-4 simultaneous FTP sessions to check throughput.
Though this does max out the 768k pipe at times, it usually maintains a
96-98% throughput on the PVC. Is this normal?

Should I change my burst-size-limit if, say, I was policing a 128k circuit?
I have consulted with tech support on this, but for some reason my brain is
having problems comprehending the burst-size-limit value. And, since I am
discarding anything above my policer, how can I find out if the policer is
actually discarding or not?

Thanks for any feedback.