[j-nsp] TTL in MPLS

From: Mark M. Forest (milo279@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 18:25:24 EST

I am making some assumptions here so bear with me. I do not have sniffer
resources free to check this right now, so I am posting for commentary.

My understanding of MPLS TTL is that the Ingress router copies the TTL from
the IP packet into the TTL field in the MPLS header. This MPLS TTL will
decrement per LSP hop in the same manner as a typical IP packet. When the
packet reaches the final hop and the label is popped then the TTL from the
MPLS header replaces the one in the IP packet.

I see where JUNOS has the capability to disable TTL or Not Propagate it as
well. With this I assume that the IP TTL will decrement only once seeing the
entire LSP as a single hop.

I think I am good to go on this. I have read through the docs on this, but
again look to the fols on this list for value added commentary anf/or
personal insight into the subject. I know it is not that complex of a
subject, nonetheless important to me.

Thanks again for all you help....happy holidays to all

milo