Lab testing scenario

From: Aleksander Zawisza (zawisza@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 15:49:35 EST

Hi,

I'm trying to come up with a config for the following lab testing scenario:

 _____________ _____________________ ________
| Ge-A |-->-->---| ge-6/2/0 so-6/2/1 |-->-->---|- |
| | | | | | |
| Tester | | M160 | | V SUT |
| | | | | | |
| Ge-B |--<--<---| ge-7/2/0 so-7/2/1 |--<--<---|- |
 ------------- --------------------- --------

The object is to do some throughput testing on the SUT interfacing with an
M160. I would like to use only one M160 for this test. It must connect to
the SUT with the two Sonet interfaces, and to the Tester with two GigE
interfaces.

I would like to send traffic from GigE interface A on the tester, through
the M160, through the SUT (Sonet box), back to the M160, and finally to
GigE-B on the Tester.

Now, given that the Tester sends IP traffic, how can I make traffic coming
into ge-6/2/0 go out the so-6/2/1 interface, so that when it comes back on
so-7/2/1 it goes out ge-7/2/0? Obviously traffic from Ge-A destined for Ge-B
will always prefer the direct route straight to Ge-B. How can I override the
direct route?

If I create a new routing instance or use filter-based forwarding, my new
routing tables will still have the directly connected routes. If I create a
static LSP, traffic would still have to choose between the LSP and the
direct route. I can't use CCC because the Tester and SUT use different types
of interfaces.

Is it possible to create a separate forwarding table that doesn't have the
same directly connected routes, essentially splitting the router in two?

Let me know if you have any ideas,

Aleks