Martians

From: Aleksander Zawisza (zawisza@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 22:07:51 EST

How does Juniper treat traffic destined for martian addresses? Here's the
scenario: I'm sending traffic to a router that has a default route out. The
traffic has a destination address of 20.20.20.2. On the router with the
default route, I set a martian for 20.0.0.0/8 orlonger. Is the Juniper
supposed to drop the traffic since the destination network is a martian, or
do martians only apply to receiving routes, not to traffic?

I tried this in the lab, and the Juniper still forwards the "martian
traffic" out its default interface. Which document is this behaviour
standardized in, for reference?

Regards,

Aleksander Zawisza
Nortel Networks, Juniper Global Networks Product Support
' Juniper GNPS Hotline: 1-800-4NORTEL (919-905-4210) / Support: ERC 577 /
Hardware: ERC 578
* 613-768-4089 / ESN 398-4089
* zawisza@nortelnetworks.com
* http://juniper.ca.nortel.com