Re: Fwd: label space <MPLS implementation>

From: Der-Hwa Gan (dhg@juniper.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 20:05:21 EDT

We did once, Cf is right.

The reason we transition to per-box after 4.2 was:
 1. It is more scalable for LDP to deal with per-box labels
    than per-interface labels. RSVP couldn't care less.

 2. For some application (like Cisco's fast reroute), you need
    per-box label to make it work.

However, we may still go back to per-interface labels any time
as applications need. There is at least one advantage
with per-interface label. It provides better security, you
can discard packets coming in from wrong interfaces.