RE: ssh on JunOs 4.2 / XCompiler

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 18:50:21 EST

> They do that too. Understand, the LONG term goal is to be able to
> eliminate the need for the shell. Anytime you have to go to
> the shell to
> accomplish something you should open a case with JTAC so the
> feature can be
> added to the CLI.

What is the time-frame for this?

> > And, why would a shell tool break routing?
>
> If you run out of memory due to a shell-tool memory leak, you
> are out of
> memory for everything. If your shell-tool starts sucking all
> the CPU then
> routing updates may not get done in a timely fashion. Part
> of our tuning
> is to make sure the existing tools can't do this to us.

Hrmm. Interesting. What about this shell script?

#!/bin/sh
# foo.sh - dumb script to explode the process list and kill my M-Fotay

while [ 1 ]
do
 ./foo.sh
done

Should break routing pretty easily. However, this is supported by Juniper?
Or are shell scripts unsupported? If so, then why have the shell available
to customers? "The other company" has unsupported, and very little well
known engineering holes (read: 'debug-eng> show saint', etc) yet they don't
make them available. If I am foolish enough to jack with the Whistler
registers on a Cat and the box decides never to work again, I can always
shut-up, play dumb, and request an RMA...

My personal opinion is to not stick stuff on the box because it may in fact
cause problems. And I understand that J-TAC cannot support a box that is
broken because of external software. But, you can't leave the keys to the
Porsche on the table, go on vacation, and expect the Fresh Prince not to
take it for a cruise... ;)

On moving everything to the CLI - should be done, but there are particular
tools in the shell that may not be easily ported, like sed and awk, or perl.
Yet I believe the TAC uses (and customers use) these tools to parse
log-files and such.

Ultimately, customers _will_ break their routing one way or another. May as
well let 'em run a shoutcast server on the box to do so.

Now, would someone kindly answer my SONET question! ;)

chris