Re: [j-nsp] cflowd

From: Greg Ketell (gketell@juniper.net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 18:20:49 EST

At 02:38 PM 2/9/2001 -0800, ron perrin wrote:
>Any perf numbers for cflowd running on juniper M
>series routers? Any gotchas? Does the CPU take a major
>perf hit if turned on? Any recommendations appreciated.

Since we do it based on statistical sampling that you get to configure
(what type of packets get sampled, how frequently you sample, how long a
chain of packets you actually sample, etc), the gotchas are all in what you
configure. If you try to do every packet on an OC192 then you will be
unhappy. On the other hand, if you only want to track where your traffic
is going so sample only SYN packets, you should be able to do every
interface on the router.

There really isn't a pat answer. Other than "it is FAR better than what
you are used to".

GK