Re: Juniper as egress LSR: to penultimate hop pop, or not?

From: Serge Maskalik (serge@ivmg.net)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 20:28:41 EDT

   Eric, that's not what Lane is asking. He wants to know if
  an option exists on the Junipers to do ultimate hop popping.
  The feature you described was put in because the default
  IOS behavior is to signal label value 0 as "implicit null",
  which does not correspond to spec.

   Lane, on both Juniper and Cisco, you can't change the
  penultimate hop popping behavior. Juniper would only signal
  explicit-null for single hop tunnels for purposes of
  preserving the exp field, but I am not sure if this is
  still the case. I can send details privately. At one point,
  I had to have Juniper folks build a custom image that did
  not do this. The topology was such where single hop LSPs
  were configured between a directly adjacent 12008 and M40.
  The GSR would signal the incorrect implicit-null value (0)
  to the M40. So when the LSP was setup, the Juniper was
  expecting encapsulated traffic and the Cisco was actually
  doing penultimate hop popping. This caused all frames to
  be ignored on the Juniper side. That was half the problem.
  The LSP that originated from the Juniper during setup
  requested explicit-null; I have to reference notes, but I
  seem to remember either the LSP signalling would fail or
  the LSP would be established, or the traffic was dropped due
  to misinterpretation of the implicit/explicit null behaviors.

   Can I ask why you want to do ultimate hop popping?

        - Serge

Thus spake Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com):