Re: NetFlow

From: Jeremy Noetzelman (jnoetzel@cac.washington.edu)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 11:47:44 EDT

On 30 May 2001, Matt Ranney wrote:

> "Jonathan Tse" <jonathantse@pacific.net.sg> writes:
>
> > I came across an article saying the maximum sample rate of juniper box is
> > 7000 packets per second, is it really true? We are running netflow in cisco
> > right now and most of our routers have 30+Mbps traffic and it seems the
> > cisco netflow still work fine. I would like to predict will there be any
> > impact when I shift to juniper?
>
> You are correct on all of your statements. The speed at which Juniper
> routers can sample traffic for NetFlow is severely limited compared
> the speed at which Cisco can do the same.

It is somewhat important to note that Cisco NetFlow can't keep up with
full sampling at higher line rates. We've run extensive tests using GSR's
and M10s, and the GSR's fall over quite quickly. Note that the line
speeds we use are in the multiple gigabit range (OC48 and NxGBE). We do,
however, use VXR's for our OC3 connections, and are doing full sampling
with few problems. Cisco just can't keep up at higher line rates.

Also of interest, though not Juniper specific, is the new Foundry Velocity
card, which will do 4xGBE line rate netflow without sampling (ie they
track every packet.)

Jeremy