Re: misordering

From: Martin Cooper (mjc@cooper.org.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 11:29:04 EST

Leigh Porter <leigh@insnet.net> writes:

> Joseph Smith wrote:
> >
> > Dear all
> >
> > OC192 interface card misorders packets under certain conditions ??
> > Have you guys heard about that ??
>

> I have not, by misorder what do you mean, does it mess up the segments
> and output garbage or does it mis-order packets in that it may transmit
> packet 1 and 2 as 2 and then 1 ?

I've heard this rumour too...

From what I am lead to believe it is supposed to be caused by a
combination of factors: the shared memory architecture in which
inbound packets are split up into 64 byte 'jcells' which are then
sprayed across memory, and subsequently picked up by the outbound
line cards by dereferencing pointers, and the architecture of the
M160 ("four M40s stuck together" as someone described it to me) -
some sort of race condition on the outbound cards perhaps?

I heard this from a well respected industry person, who's
opinion I trust, as well as Cisco (whose motives one might
reasonably suspect), but I have not seen any hard evidence
to support it.

M.