RE: [j-nsp] CCC encapsulation standard?

From: Darren Bolding (darren@bolding.org)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 21:10:52 EST

Nikolas,

Thanks for your reply! I think I understand what you are saying, especially
as regards using CCC for layer 2 switching cross-connects, or even for LSP
stitching.

However, I use the word encapsulation for a couple of reasons:

(1) Its the way Juniper describes it in the only reference I can find about
Ethernet VLAN-CCC
(http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos42/swconfig-interfaces42/html
/interfaces-ethernet-config8.html) which I can only find in 4.2 docs (by
searching)

(2) I'm particularly interested in MPLS LSP Tunnel Cross-Connects
(http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos43/swconfig43-mpls-apps/html/
ccc-config7.html#1013872). In this case, I would use encapsulation to
describe what's happening- ingress traffic on the interface is encapsulated
and put in an LSP, which travels across one or more LSR's to an egress point
where it is deencapsulated (with CCC, this is largely just stuffing frames,
but some layer-2 munging may occur).

Am I missing something? I'd like to know if I misunderstand something.

It seems odd that the 4.3 docs don't mention VLAN-CCC at all (that I can
find), I presume the functionality has not been deprecated.

I'm interested in finding out if the method by which layer-2 data is
encapsulated and placed into an LSP is publicly documented, and if it is
standards track.

Greg Ketell's e-mail implies that CCC is an implementation of the MPLS
Layer-2 VPN I-D. Which makes sense given the number of Juniper names on the
I-D. (Thanks Greg!)

--D

-- Darren Bolding darren@bolding.org --
-- http://www.bolding.org/~darren --