RE: [j-nsp] CCC encapsulation standard?

From: Metz, E.T. (E.T.Metz@kpn.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 06:07:42 EST

> the encapsulation used by "remote interface switching" CCC is
> (as far as
> I can tell) just layer 2 in MPLS. No label stack, and nothing between
> the layer 2 frame and the MPLS header. I believe the FCS is stripped
> off. There's no plan AFAIK for this to be on the sandards track.
> Neither is it an implementation of Juniper's Layer 2 VPN draft.

Could be seen as early implementation of concept ;-), I think the
encapsulations are similar.

> The problem with CCC is that it doesn't scale. Each CCC connection
> requires 2 RSVP-signalled LSPs. This leads to an "n-squared" label
> problem in the core. So while CCC is useful for tunneling
> infrastructural services (e.g. Multicast, internal networks,
> etc.) over
> an MPLS core it isn't much use, in my opinion, if you want to provide
> services to customers :(

Since MPLS LSPs are uni-directional by definition, I would consider this
"scaling issue" an artefact of MPLS not CCC. But, you're right, it will kind
of a burden in large scale deployments. On the other hand, if you really
doing large scale L2 services ... why build an L3 network to provide this?

> A proposed "standard" for layer 2 over MPLS encapsulation is
> draft-martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls-00.txt (we are just putting 01.txt
> together now.) I would expect Juniper to implement this draft.

I suppose this also requires two LSP per circuit?

Apologies for not being completely familiar with this draft, but how do you
see this relate to mpls-l2vpn?

cheers,
        Eduard