RE: [j-nsp] OLIVE install

From: Morgan, Richard (rmorgan@orchestream.com)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 06:33:30 EST

I've been trained on the Olive machines and some respects I'm surprised that
you are canning them. Yes you have the M5's which are in very short supply
but surely Olives are much cheaper.

Working for Orchestream I've written management software for a variety of
boxes. One of the drama's with writing configuration software for routers is
you need the real thing to work on, generally the real thing is a scarce
resource. Having some kind of simulated device is very useful for
development and testing purposes.

It would be a shame for Juniper to entirely ditch the simulator and I would
argue that simply a faked up CLI and a JunOScript server would be useful for
both training a development - it need not be able to physically push
packets, do pings, MPLS etc just validate commits. Once you have broken the
requirement to simulate the entire router you can run multiple versions of
the CLI on one machine, hence for configuration purposes simulating a large
network.

Still if has gotta die, it's gotta die.

Rich