Re: sysmon-0.91.6, problems

From: Jared Mauch (jared@sysmon.org)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 12:42:29 EDT

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:22:45AM +0200, Johansson, Dan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried the new version and the "Bug: Ping should never be killed" message
> is away and everything seems to run smoothly.
>
> However, there is a problem, or I am too stupid to use this program:
>
> I do not see any notifications about successful and/or unsuccessful pings.
> The statfile shows everything is OK, no notifications are being sent, but
> the node tested is defenitively down.

        yeah, that is the error case that I just fixed. It would never
send more than one ping to a host and it needed to miss at least
4 or 5 to be declared "down".

> When a node goes down the "Killing stale check" message is found in the
> syslog, but nothing else seems to happen.

        yeah, what happens is if the check is in the queue to be "tested"
for more than so long it prints out that error. As it was never sending
a second ping, and was stuck in the queue it needed to be "killed". The
program does some self-protection to prevent a single check from hogging
the queue time if there is some major bug (like the one i fixed) that
prevents it from testing things properly and having all
the hosts fill up the queue to be tested.

> Same configfile tested with older version and there it works fine.
>
> Please let me know if there is more information that I can provide.

        grab sysmon-0.91.7 and it should fix your problem.

        advise me if otherwise.

        - jared