An idea for a new feature

From: James Yarbro (jyarbro@dn.net)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 10:05:47 EST

Could you add a config option possibly that would force sysmon to not send
up emails until it had verified that a server was up for a defined number
of times?

i.e. config numsuccess 3;

this would potentially allow a way to avoid any false "up" message
problems. also, if there were connectivity issues, where sysmon was only
able to ping a server once every so often, usually the contact would get
spammed with lots of up/down messages. This sort of issue could also be
avoided with a numsuccess variable.

What are your thoughts?

Also, I just remembered an idea I had a little while ago. Would it be
possible to add an email option that would show the number of times a host
has been reported "down" since the last up message? It's already part of
the statusfile, but there isn't a way to put it in emails yet, which would
be really helpful in finding faults in our sysmon configuration, or
finding bugs in sysmon itself.

Are these ideas possible?

Thanks for your assistance!

-jy