[alcatel-nsp] ISIS external routes

Stefano Gridelli sgridelli at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 11:47:12 EST 2010

Bryan -

If I am not wrong the only way to control type of routes in ISIS is
by having or not your routers in the same ISIS area. Or by use of
redistribution ...

That is if your routers are in the same area, the route will be marked
as internal (preference = 15), while if they are in different areas, it
will
be marked as external (preference = 18).

Or you can have two routers in the same area and one of the two
routers redistribute from another protocol routes. Those imported
routes will be marked as "external" with preference equal to 18.

Of course you need L1/L2 capabilities on the router that redistributes
either between areas or protocols.

Also the instance option you were trying to use is only valid for OSPF
and not for ISIS:

  - no protocol
  - protocol <protocol> [all|{instance <instance>}]

 <protocol>           : bgp|isis|ospf|rip|bgp-vpn
 <instance>           : ospf-instance [1..31]
 <all>                : keyword [only used with ospf]

Check also the options under the "action" statement in route policy:

 [no] as-path         - Assign a BGP AS Path list to routes matching the
entry
 [no] as-path-prepend - Prepending a BGP AS number to the AS Path attribute
of
                        routes that match the entry
 [no] community       - Apply a BGP community list to routes matching the
                        entry
 [no] damping         - Configure a damping profile to be used for routes
                        matching the entry
 [no] local-preferen* - Assign a BGP Local Preference to routes matching the
                        entry
 [no] metric          - Assign a metric to routes matching the entry
 [no] next-hop        - Assign a next hop IP address to routes matching the
                        entry
 [no] next-hop-self   - Advertising a next hop IP address belonging to this
                        router to routes matching the entry
 [no] origin          - Set the BGP origin assigned to routes exported into
                        BGP that match the entry
 [no] preference      - Assign a route preference to routes matching the
entry
 [no] tag             - Assign an OSPF RIP or ISIS tag to routes matching
the
                        entry
 [no] type            - Assign an OSPF type metric to routes matching the
                        entry

Usually you use the "action" statement to play with routes' proprieties.

Thanks