[a-nsp] Arista and EVPN-VPWS, RFC 8214

Joris Claassen joris at arista.com
Tue Nov 12 04:14:47 EST 2019

Hi Gert,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 8:53 PM Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 06:08:46PM +0100, Joris Claassen wrote:
> > As no-one else chimed in before, let me do so - even though I am a bit
> late.
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> [..]
> > As per version 4.22.0F Arista also supports Layer 2 Control Plane
> > Forwarding on a selection of platforms (7020, 7280 and 7500 series).
> [..]
> > https://eos.arista.com/eos-4-22-0f/l2-protocol-forwarding/
>
> Are the other platforms not supported "because implementations has
> not been done yet" or because there is a fundamental incompatibility
> with the switch chips used?  (We use mostly T2+/T3 based boxes for
> the customer connections, that is, 7050SX2 and 7050SX3).
>

>From what I understand this is functionality that is not scheduled to
arrive on T2+/T3 any time soon. As you might know these are part of an
entire different chipset family then the 7020/7280/7500/7800 series on
which the development effort for this feature has focussed.

> > MAC learning can be turned off on a per-port basis, as per the manual:
> >
> > https://www.arista.com/en/um-eos/eos-section-19-3-mac-address-table
> >
> > This combination of features will:
> >
> >    - Use EVPN to fill the flood-lists on the respective VTEPs that host
> the
> >    endpoints of your VPWS service
> >    - Forward tagged/untagged/all type PAUSE/LACP/LLDP/MACSEC/STP frames
> >    through the VXLAN tunnel
> >    - Not learn endpoint MAC addresses on the ethernet ports that you
> would
> >    map to the VPWS service
> >    - All the traffic will be transparently sent to the other side as the
> >    MAC address will not be learned
>
> Ignoring L2 protocol forwarding for the moment, I'm a bit confused on
> how to implement the VPWS part.  Is it just an EVPN L2 VPN with "just two
> member devices", and the rest happens quasi automatically, because "without
> learning, all you can do is flooding, and if you only have two endpoints,
> this is a point-to-point pseudowire"?

That is correct. All traffic will be classified as BUM and thus be flooded
to all other (only one in this case) VTEPs that are known for that VNI.

> gert
> --
> "If was one thing all people took for granted, was conviction that if you
>  feed honest figures into a computer, honest figures come out. Never
> doubted
>  it myself till I met a computer with a sense of humor."
>                              Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh
> Mistress
>
> Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
> gert at greenie.muc.de