Swan HF-700S Saga

Richard H. Arland, K7SZ k7sz at JUNO.COM
Wed Dec 3 22:04:10 EST 1997

Gang:

Got the variac out tonight and tried to fire the rig up thru the variac,
bringing the input voltage up slowly over several hours. No filaments lit
up. The S/RF meter pegged all the way to the right. Several times the
relays clicked. No AF (obviously). Looks like something wrong in the
PSU-3 for starters.

Antique Electronic Supply has new 6LQ6s for $40/each....ad $2/tube for
matching. Once source of manuals has been identified, with the cost of
around $16. This could be a very expensive restoration...especially for
someone who doesn't collect Swans.

If I get it going, I will use it in my camper for a while, until I tire
of it and sell it. The HF-700S looks like a very interesting radio. Seems
to be very well made. The only ad I could find was in an Aug 79 HR and
that was the close out ad for the 350B, 350D and the 700S as "the last of
the Swan tube rigs". From what I can gather, the MX-100 and the Astro 102
were in production by 1978, so this was the last of the Swan sweep tube
radios.

Many thanks to all who responded. I can use all the help and advice I can
get.

73 rich K7SZ

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov