Old Labels

Alan Gutfrucht alang at POPMAIL.MCS.COM
Sun Dec 14 00:47:21 EST 1997

At 08:30 PM 12/13/97 -0800, Bill Turner wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 20:14:57 -0800, Gary D Elliott <k7ox at PIPELINE.COM>
>wrote:
>
>>Greetings
>>
>>I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the residue of a old
>>"Gummy" label from the front panel of a piece of equipment.  The front panel
>>is hammertone grey, smooth finish.  Some one years ago put a label that read
>>High Voltage.  I tried lighter fluid and that removed part of the label.
>>What I have now is a dried hard gob of glue from the label left.  What is
>>the best way to remove this without damage to the paint on the panel.
>>Suggestions Please.  Thanks

>There are two solvents I use regularly which are pretty harmless to
>most anything:  Isopropyl alcohol and WD-40.  It is prudent, however,
>to test them on an inconspicuous part of the item to be cleaned.
>
>73, Bill W7TI

I second the vote for WD-40. We use bar coded labels where I work on all
kinds of machinery components. Everybody uses WD-40 for that purpose.
Again, you must be careful about testing the reaction with paint. Yes, we
have some painted components and it does not seem to affect them. However,
you can never tell how your older piece of equipment will react. Test it
first.

Regards, Alan WB2FZC

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov