Hints & Kinks (WAS: Ranger Mod. Xfmr.)

Brian Carling, Radio AF4K bry at MNSINC.COM
Tue Jun 10 05:48:00 EDT 1997

On  8 Jun 97 at 19:00, Doug Hall spoke about WTB: Ranger Mod. Xfmr.
and said:

> Hi gang,
>    I've managed to smoke the modulation transformer in my Johnson
>    Ranger. It
> died this afternoon right at the end of a long AM QSO on 40m. Does
> anyone know where I can buy a replacement? Anyone got a junker
> Ranger? Is there another transformer that will work in its place?
> Any help is appreciated. 73, Doug Hall, KF4KL JPS Communications,
> Inc.

WOW! Now THERE Is a fair warning to all users of
older AM rigs, and even tube audio amplifiers in general.

My suggestion is this: put a FUSE in the B+ lines going to the plates
of the Mod power tube(s) and RF final(s). Say a 500mA
or a 1A fast-blo cartridge fuse. This way if a tube shorts while
you are on the air, the FUSE will be taken out before the power
transformer or mod transformer!!

Is this a great idea or what?
*** 73 from Radio AF4K/G3XLQ Gaithersburg, MD USA  *
**  E-mail to:  bry at mnsinc.com                     *
*** See the interesting ham radio resources at:    *
**  http://www.mnsinc.com/bry/                     *