WTB: STAR Set

Richard H. Arland, K7SZ k7sz at JUNO.COM
Tue Apr 7 06:30:26 EDT 1998

Back when I was an AF Tech Controller, we along with the
"Scope Dopes" (RAPCON) and "Tower Flowers" (Air Traffic
Controllers) used a mic/headset device called a STAR set.

The device consisted of a small, in-the-ear-type earphone,
connected to a little box that had a clip on the side which
attached to the frame of  your glasses or to a removable headset
band. The mic was a very thin, flexable tube that only came
about 1/2 way around toward the lips.

Watching Tom Hank's "From the Earth to the Moon" on Sunday
showed several of these devices used in Mission Control.

They were made by Pacific Plantronics and were an XB3
(throw away) item from supply once they were broken (which
happened with great regularity).

Several of us hams who worked in the Comm Sq, would
take two or three of the STAR sets and rebuild one that would
work. They worked great for 2 meter gear in the mobile.

Anyone have a line on where I could get one or two of these
puppies?

73 rich K7SZ

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov