Fred Osterman's New Book

Larry Wolken rhys at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sat Apr 11 18:11:41 EDT 1998

Hi Gang --

Good news.  Fred Osterman has once again outdone himself.  The new version
(Third Edition) of his book Shortwave Receivers Past and Present is out and
he has added over 120 new pages.  The one confusing thing is that the cover
remains exactly the same.  When I went to pick it up, I thought it was the
2nd edition and I nearly dropped it because it's a good bit heavier.

He's included several wonderful additions including many more European
models from companies like Geloso, Marconi, & KW Electronics.  While the
subtitle of the book remains "Communications Receivers 1942-1997" he's gone
much further back this time -- in deference to requests I'm sure from the BA
crowd.  There are more Halllicrafters and Nationals (including a stunning
photo of the altar-like FRR-24 weighing in at 1200 lbs). The smaller brands
like Howard and RME are more fully represented as well.  Of course any
misprints from the last edition have been for the most part corrected.

Fred's next project is a book on portable SW receivers so if you have
anything rare or unusual to bring to the party on that topic, be sure to
contact him.

The book is available from Universal Radio 800-431-3939 and is still a good
value at $25.  Enjoy.

73 for now
Larry Wolken N3OJD

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov