Problems w/Lafayette mic connection

Joel Govostes jwg6 at CORNELL.EDU
Wed Apr 22 11:39:20 EDT 1998

I'd appreciate any suggestions:

I am back at my Lafayette 6m am rig, trying to get it on the air, but have
come upon a problem on the schematic.  It involves the mic connector.

There are 5 pins on the plug.  Two are used for the microphone leads, and
two for the push-to-talk switch.  The 5th pin has *no* connection
(according to schematic.)

Problem is, on the JACK, on the rig, all 5 pins have connections to circuitry.
The 5th one actually goes to the loudspeaker.  (The other lead from the
speaker is just a ground connection.) So, when the mic plug connects up to
the jack, the speaker doesn't end up connecting to *anything.

What gives?  They seem to be showing a connection to the plug with no
corresponding socket connection(?)?

I'm thinking maybe the speaker lead is supposed to get grounded during
TRANSMIT(?)  Would this serve to deactivate the speaker?  Other similar
circuits I have looked at show the speaker getting disconnected (by relay
or switch) during transmit, but this rig wasn't designed that way.

BTW, it's a HE-45B.    Thanks for any help on this.  I have found a couple
of errors in the schematic diagram (compared to the actual wiring), so
perhaps this  part of the circuit was not drawn correctly...

Anyway, thanks,

73,  JG

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov