No Code, Int'l

Rod Fitz-Randolph w5hvv at AENEAS.NET
Sat Aug 1 09:59:06 EDT 1998

I sincerely hope that I am not violating tenants of this reflector.
This is an effort to pass on some information that may be helpful
to others that, like me, prefer to keep CW as a requisite for licensing.

I have been told that No Code, Int'l (www.nocode.org/) has been
pressuring the FCC into making a decision to do away with code
requirements for licensing, altogether.  If you want to see who is
on the Board of Directors of NCI, go to www.nocode.org/.  You will
see that Fred Maia, W5YI, is prominently placed.  He has apparently
been a mainstay in the fight against code requisite for licensing for
some time.  I am not sure why.  Is it the profit motive?  It would be
terrible if it were.  I sincerely hope that that is not the reason that
Fred Maia has been battling against the CW requirements for some time.
It is interesting that 20% of the NCI BOD are foreigners.

Perhaps it is time for us to dump our subscriptions to CQ Magazine
in which Maia is prominently featured every month.

The ARRL action apparently was an effort to keep some code and
not turn it into a complete CB band.  The situation is terrible.
I don't know if we can reverse it or not but there is an e-mail
address at which you can register your comments to the FCC:
hamcomm at fcc.gov.

Be polite, tho, the recipient of the e-mail at FCC is a ham like us.
Above all, let them know your feelings.

Rod, N5HV
A Know-Code Extra
Ex-W5HVV, HS3VV, VP7ND, VP5RR, G5AVW