Tube Dreams

Gary Pewitt gpewitt at EXECPC.COM
Sun Jan 4 18:59:54 EST 1998

Only 10,000 per square centimeter?  Sounds pretty good to
me.  How many semi conductor devices were on the first
generation of ic's?   I think you could do quite a lot
with that many tubes in a package.  After all you wouldn't be trying
to replace ic's but to do jobs they are not good at such as
analog functions.  I didn't realize they had gotten that far with
research.  I'd like to find more information on this subject.
---------------Original Message---------------
> Has anyone heard of this or similar fabrications?  Could the
> semiconductor industry have produced the means to re-invent
> thermionic devices?

Every so often, the military or some university tries to make micro tubes,
and they all conclude that they would be nice, but they just do not work
well. The best density anyone has gotten is about 10,000 devices per
square centimeter.

Someone even tried a hybrid device called an "electron bombardment
semiconductor", but that really went nowhere.

William Donzelli
william at ans.net

----------End of Original Message----------

Name: Gary Pewitt N9ZSV/KT