HV PWR XFORMER-gud idea

Richard Post post at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Wed Jan 21 15:38:28 EST 1998

>Heard a couple hams on 2 meters this morning discussing a really good idea.
>Thought I'd  pass it along on the internet.
>
>One of the hams talking said he found that in OLD MICROWAVE OVEN's, was an
>undiscovered
>resource.  Namely the HV transformer that powers the Magnetron Tube.  He
>has observed that
>most of the transformers have a HV winding of +/- 2000 VAC (single winding)
>@ usually
>about 500 ma. capacity.  AND a 110 VAC primary.   This means that two
>transformers matched of course, and placed in series, will provide 4000 VAC
>centertapped, and 110vac/220vac primarys AT 1/2 an AMP, which is
>more than enough to power that linear amp he wanted to build.  Also, old
>worn out Microwaves can be had
>for free or very cheaply at service dealers, and the local paper want ads.
>FYI from a 'fellow junk collector'
>wd8aam.....this can be copied freely for any use.

The idea is not new.  Two can also be used back-to-back for a potent
isolation transformer.  Keep the three-wire cord set-up intact and the
transformer frames well bonded together electrically.  One side of the
high-voltage secondary is normally connected to the transformer frame.  If
the frames of the two transformers are not electrically connected, touching
both transformer frames with power applied is lethal.

You can check turns ratio of this and other transformers in a non-lethal
manner by feeding them with only 1.20 volts using a 6 volt transformer fed
off a variac to the 1.20 volt point.  The secondary will read a
proportionate one/one-hundredth of the full voltage.

Caution is seriously advised with these things.  The hi-volt rectifier and
capacitor can also be re-used.  Like all caps, discharge before touching.

Rich

visit the Museum of Radio and Technology website
http://ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu/~post/MRT/

personal Boatanchpor Pix website
 http://ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu/~post/PIX/BA.html
mirror site