St. Louis (St. Charles) MO Winterfest

Mike Sanders k0az at I1.NET
Sat Jan 24 23:23:32 EST 1998

Greetings, Another good hamfest for the BA crowd. Quite a few
goodies on sale. I will not try to run a list of what I saw
because it was a lot and my memory was not sharp today. Some
of the more memorable stuff follows. Johnson Navigator for
$325.00!!!!! Yikes! Also a KWM2A in clean condition with unseen
supply for 1100 something !!! Huh??? OK, OK so I had a beaut
of a 312B5 up on my table for $650.00. Brought it back home in
the bubble wrap it went in. Actually there were several very
nice bargains among all the nonsense. The one we all regret
today for me was the Lysco 600 that I passed on. It was truely
stunning. Had been restored by someone with truckloads of TLC.
This thing was really pretty. 65 bux and I walked on it. Dumb?
You bet. I did pick up a complete and very nice although dirty
HR10B for 25 dollars including calibrator and original manual.
It works! After cleaning it will look real nice. A Drake W4
for 20 bux was another good one for me. National HRO60 AC coil
and 3 coil box for 25 bux. I will trade that coil for a HRO50
A coil. Last and certainly not least was the little homebrew tx
I bought for 35 dollars. It is about 3 inches tall and about 5
inches deep and about 14 inches wide. Kinda like the old Millen
90800 exciters only all inclosed. Whoever built this thing was
a real pro. The work is first rate up to and including the silk
screened front panel. Flat Black panel with little (Collins like)
Simpson meter. All knobs are a snazzy brushed aluminum that I
have never seen before. 2 sizes of the same style. And as I mentioned
the lettering on the panel looks professional. 5763 osc and 5763
multiplier driving a 6146 in the PA. Bandswitched 80 through 10
meters. A plate mounted near the back holds 10 ceramic xtal sockets.
There is an "inspection" plate on the back allowing access to the
xtal sockets and a switch on the front is coupled to the deck for
changing one of 10 xtals from the front panel. The meter is also
switched from Osc Plate or Screen, Mult Plate or Screen and PA Plate,
Screen or Grid plus one spot for M (modulator?). The back apron
has an octal socket for the external power supply (where ever it is).
Also an octal plug for what was probably going to be the modulator
connections and or control. The unit is complete and really looks
professional. The top and bottom covers come off with 8 or so screws
for easy access. There were even 2 like new Peterson Radio xtals in
2 of the sockets! I'm going to start digging around and come up with
a supply. I have a Heath HP23B I may modify a bit to do the job. It
won't take much. A couple of 6L6s couldn't be far behind that.
Anyway it was another good winter hamfest. This one seems to be holding
its own and growing in attendence.      73, Mike K0AZ

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS