Captain Kurt Carlsen of Flying Enterprise Fame

Rod Fitz-Randolph w5hvv at AENEAS.NET
Sat Jul 25 10:08:18 EDT 1998

Be sure and watch the Discovery Channel tomorrow night (Sunday) at
9:00 PM ESDT/8:00 PM CSDT.  It will feature Kurt Carlsen of the
Flying Enterprise fame.  Kurt is/was W2ZXM/MM and was my first AM
phone contact after getting my license in 1954.  At that time, he
had already achieved fame for not leaving the Flying Enterprise so
as to not allow the salvors to lay claim to the vessel.  He had
ordered his crew to abandon ship but he stayed there, himself.
Tomorrow night, the Discovery channel will chronicle that story.

In 1954, during my maiden voice contact (15 meters) with him, he
had already taken command of the Flying Enterprise II and was nearly
to England when he answered the CQ I had sent out from my Harvey Wells
TBS-50C.  My receiver was an NC-57.  I have, at Dayton this year,
purchased an NC-57 and a TBS-50D.  Gonna put those rigs on the air
soon!  Listen for me and be sure and watch tomorrow night to the
saga of Cap'n Kurt Carlsen and the Flying Enterprise!!!!!

Best 73,

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv at aeneas.net

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov