Old Allied Radio

Brian Carling bry at MNSINC.COM
Thu Jun 18 21:16:19 EDT 1998

Visit a radio store today, while there are still some left!

They are a DYING BREED!

Our last major amateur radio retailer in Maryland just closed their
doors for ever - as did EEB in nearby Virginia a few months ago!

There is now only one MINOR dealership left in an older section of
Baltimore, and I am not sure that they sell ANY new ham gear at all.

We really have no more ham radio stores in Maryland.

To my knowledge, nn the entire metro DC and Baltimore areas, there is
now only ONE store left - an HRO outlet in nearby Woodbridge, VA...

What a shame! As late as 1987 when I first moved to this area there
was still a Heathkit store in Alexandria, VA, but that closed around
1988 or so.

Now there is almost nothing left! A friend of mine just showed me the
rig he bought from MRC in their close-out sale - a little Alinco 300
mW 2m HT the size of a credit card. Amazing! He paid around $80 for
it. Great for monitoring the local repeaters!

We should treasure these stories of visits to the radio shops and
parts suppliers in the old days!

Anyone remember ACK RADIO in Atlanta?

On 17 Jun 98 at 9:12, Lawrence wrote:

>      I have read all of the responses regarding this old and
>      gracious home to us old timers.  I still have a few of their
>      catalogs.  As I got into ham radio back in the late 50's I
>      received many a catalog now since thrown out.  But I did order
>      some headphones, a code practice key with buzzer and most
>      likely a few other items.  As a youngster growing up in
>      Colorado, Allied Radio was a great read.  Although we had other
>      radio stores in Denver, Allied and Burnstein-Applebee seemed to
>      me to be the ones to read and covet.  I was able to visit 100 N
>      Western Ave in June of 1967.  I went there with my father to
>      purchase some used equipment, having just graduated from
>      college and anxious to setup a station.  It was an
>      unbelieveable place.  All the new equipment, the noise of the
>      audio equipment and all the parts.  I purchased an Apache and a
>      SB-10 that day.  Though I had been into many other radio stores
>      nothing came even close to this - for me - and still dosen't.
>      Though this was my only visit to Allied, it is stil memorable
>      to this day.
>
>      Larry Knapp (KC8JX)
>      St. Joseph, Mi
>
> --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
> To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
> and in body: subscribe BOATANCHORS yourfirstname yourlastname
> To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
> and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS
> Archives for BOATANCHORS: http://www.tempe.gov/archives
> --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --

*** 73 from Radio AF4K/G3XLQ Gaithersburg, MD USA  *
**  E-mail to:  bry at mnsinc.com                     *
*** ICQ 6124470  ***
**  http://www.mnsinc.com/bry/                     *
AM International #1024, TENTEN #13582. GRID FM19. Rigs: Valiant, DX-60/HG-10, FT-840, TM-261A, Harvey Wells Bandmaster, Drake 2
C.
TEN-TEN #13582, DXCC #17763, Bicentennial WAS

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS