Lack,of Radio Stores

D.B. Cooper stumpie at EDU.GTE.NET
Fri Jun 19 11:26:08 EDT 1998

I thought that there was a ham radio store in Ballard.  I went to one -
oops, must have been 15 years ago- there.  I guess it went the way of most
radio stores.

In the SF Bay area, we have 2 branches of the same hammy megastore.  No big
prize.

You know, when I was a kid, I'd be able to run into one of the local ham
stores and not only get the parts I needed (could never afford the gear),
but I would get help in building my latest project.  Virtually all the guys
behind the counter were hams, licensed before 1940, who really knew their
stuff, and they didn't mind sharing their knowledge with the kids.

Now, you walk into the aforementioned 2 branches of hammy megastore, and
they don't have parts, just gear.  Geez, they don't even have tubing for
your antenna projects.

But I don't think that matters much, because the guys behind the counter
don't know an ohm from a volt anyways.

So I mail order things myself.  Haven't been over to hammy megastore in
several years.

More of the same won't help.  What we need is a parts house that sells ham
gear and has people with the technical knowledge to help new hams discover
the joys of homebrew.

73

Paul WA6OKQ

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov