JA Boatanchors? Wow...

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at PDQ.NET
Tue Jun 23 09:13:10 EDT 1998

>D.B. Cooper wrote:
>
>> ai7r wrote:
>>
>> > Is this making anyone else feel old?
>>
>> Dave and gang,
>>
>> Hey!  I started feeling old when they started putting Collins and
>> Halliscratchers and Drake, etc. on the boatanchors list.  I bought a lot
of this
>> stuff when it was "state of the Art."

Lets see...
I was born in 1959 so maybe thats why I like 40's & 50's era BA's.

>> I, personally do not consider any JA radios to be boatanchors.  To be a
>> boatanchor, it has to be military or 75A, 32V, SX28, NC303, Thunderbolt
>> vintage.  A boatanchor is, to quote my 32V manual "portable at a mere 108
>> pounds."  The modern radios (S-line, Hot Water rigs, Drakes, Eddystones,
etc)
>> are classic tube radios.  No solid state anywhere.  JA radios do not, IMHO,
>> qualify.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Paul WA6OKQ

To me a BA has to be made in the 50's or earlier. 60's Collins ect. is just
too modern for my taste. I like heavy tube radio's. Solid state just
doesn't ring my bell.
The only non tube ham set I own is the IC-706 in my Chevy S-10. Everything
in my shack is tube. I've even thought about putting a generator in the
truck bed and having my Collins 32V-3/75A-4 setup in the truck where the
extended cab is behind the front seats. Trouble is nobody could ride back
there if I did. There would be no room.
Forget SSB mobile unless I decide to use the KWS-1 instead of the 32V-3. I
just like running AM over SSB. Anybody else tried BA mobile?

Solid state? I'll pass...

Like Annette Funicello? Subscribe to a list about her!
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/annette

bratcher at pdq.net
Record collector, 8mm, super 8, 16 and 35mm Film collector.
Looking for prerecorded reel to reel tape albums.
I like old radio's too.
Collins, Hallicrafters, National & Hammarlund are my Favorites!

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS