SRR-11 progress and help wanted

Tom Norris badger at TELALINK.NET
Sun Mar 8 19:16:06 EST 1998

So far have gotten my SRR-11 project receiver "almost up and running"

Initially it was pretty dumb on all bands and dead on bands 1 and 4.
Turns out bands 1 and 4 use the 1st IF module to convert their 60KC
output to 200 KC the second IF handles, and the other bands just
pass through. I completely took apart the 1st IF module ( I had a whole
day to kill yesterday ) and replaced pretty much all the components, and
replaced the bnadswitches. The wiring is now nice shiney white teflon.
Well, that seems to have made it work SORTA. The main thing it accomplished
was make the module look pretty with its new wiring and components. :-)
The rx is rock sensitive ( 1000 microvolts ) on those 2 bands now rather than
being totally dead. Looks like the output transformer T-703 is sick. I have
continuity
in the windings, but it does not actually tune when I turn its screw. The
plate
trimmer cap has no effect either. I replaced the circuit per the schematic
and have
gone over the module a half dozen times and find nothing amiss - everything is
going where the schematic says it should.

Anyone got a spare 1st IF module or an output transformer for same?
I have loaned my SRR-13 manual out so cant say whether any of the transformers
in its innerds will work -- this transformer is the plate output for the
mixer as well
as the plate transformer for the 1st IF output. Not an ordinary IF can to
say the least....

Part 2 -- I have a mini thunderstorm going on on one of the bands ( band 3 )
Traced the noise to the first RF stage - looks like I will be hunting bad
micas
on the bandswitch next....

I'm glad I actually ENJOY this. :-)

73

Tom

Please visit The Mil List for info on military communications gear:

HTTP://www.telalink.net/~badger/millist/mi.html

This is a non-comercial endeavor strictly for providing
info for those who have a need for it - and intertainment
for those who dont....

ANY and ALL Contributions Welcome.
 Tom Norris KA4RKT
 badger at telalink.net        Nashville, Tennessee, USA