FS: ARRL Handboooks & publications

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Sun Mar 22 22:45:06 EST 1998

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Jeffrey Herman wrote:

> Jim, I didn't subscribe to this list to read junk mail from Price Cops.
> If you don't like Dick's prices, then make him a counter-offer, or
> just don't buy his goods.
>
> On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Jim Strohm wrote:
> > w0ex at SCAN.MISSOURI.ORG <DICK W0EX> displays his mercenary side when
> > he writes:
>
> > >I have the following ARRL handbooks to sell:
> > >Hardbound..... all binding and covers are excellent, very good to
> > >excellent condition otherwise.  All have some library markings
> > >For Years:
> > > 1975 , 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984.
> > >I'll Sell the  9 for $140, or if no one wants them all, individually for
> > >$20 each.
>
> > He said something else but I (oops) erased it.
> > Gentlemen, I am deeply dismayed to see people like DICK offering
> > books for sale at such outrageously inflated prices.  I can only
> > hope that the ARRL will soon provide back issues of the Handbook
> > on CD-ROM, so that those of us who need the information can get it
> > at a fair cost, and those of us who choose to give DICK his due
> > will pay his exorbitant, obscene, rapacious, gouging prices
> > for the Handbook.

        I'm in total agreement with Jeffery.  Being a small dealer of
second-hand technical books, I can tell you that the prices being asked
for these handbooks are not at all out of line.  Good, clean copies from
the 50's will bring as much as $25.  If you find them for $10 or less
(and you will), consider yourself lucky and smile all the way home.

     ,----------------------.       Circuit Design for the
    /    What's all this     \            RF Impaired
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'        Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                               Principal Engineer
 oo\                                 ATG Design Services
(__)\       _                          P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                  Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     Technical Editor,
     .       (  ) \                      QRP Quarterly
      '-| )__| :.  \                     QRP ARCI 9464
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__      Email:  ctrask at primenet.com
                               http://www.primenet.com/~ctrask

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov