Opinions of GSB-100...

Mike Sanders k0az at SWBELL.NET
Sun Mar 22 22:54:15 EST 1998

Dave wrote:

> Hello all (including Kevin!),
>
> Having just arranged to purchase that GSB-100 that appeared
> earlier on the list (I live a half hour from Kevin, so easy
> pick-up), I would like to gather opinions of it.  Anyone
> ever use one?  Output power (single 6DQ6 - I bought about
> 12 of those last year) ?, anecdotes?  Opinions of Phasing
> type SSB?  Anything ya got in the opinion/info department...
>
> You'll recall my query about which receiver to pair with a
> DX-100?  Well, the DX-100 didn't pan out so now I'll be
> pairing the GSB-100 with my soon be be here NC-300.  They
> sure seem about the same era/size and oughta be fun on CX
> night!
>
> Great group.  Thanks in advance.  Also, please note the
> different email address in my signature file beneath
> my name.  Doesn't matter which you reply to - they all
> get here through the magic of forwarding.  Made some updates
> on my web page too, so if you haven't been there in a while
> you might want to check it out.
>
> 73
>
> Dave WB7AWK
> http://www.boatanchors.com
> dave at boatanchors.com
>
> --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
> To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
> and in body: subscribe BOATANCHORS yourfirstname yourlastname
> To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
> and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS
> Archives for BOATANCHORS: http://www.tempe.gov/archives
> --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
The GSB100 had a weak power transformer and many were
lost. I have seen a number of GSB100s with missing or
replacement kluge power transformers. Not sure specifically
about the GSB100 but most SSB rigs of the era were touchy
on tuning and often had to be retuned often to keep carrier
null and balance in place. Carrier and opposite sideband
suppression on these rigs was usually not terrible good.
I believe the Gonset VFO was a good one in this rig. Output
power was about 50 or 60 watts. These can be fun to run if
you know what to expect from them. The NC300 is a poor SSB
receiver unless AGC and product coupling mods are done to it.
They can be found in Electric Radio in several issues. A
properly modified NC300 is a pretty good SSB receiver. An
unmodified one is a real pain with lots of distortion and
very poor sounding audio in general. On AM the NC300 is a
great sounding receiver for being a single ended audio stage
type. Modify the NC300 and run the GSB100 conservatively and
you will probably get decent service out of them. GL.
                                        73, K0AZ   Mike

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS