Looking for Zeus!!!

Robert S. Ross radiorob at SERIX.COM
Sun Mar 29 22:52:58 EST 1998

Hello Folks:

   What a day!! Started out this morning at 9AM to take my Son BirdWatching
at Longpoint Provincial Park on Lake Erie. After about 3 Hours of driving
and a couple of hours looking for Birds....we finally arrived home. On my
answering machine was a message from Gary Cheek KG8LB telling me that he
had found something I would be very interested in!! Gary had unearthed a
Clegg Zeus 2/6 Mtr. Transmitter and matching Clegg Interceptor 2/6 Mtr
Receiver in Nice shape...and he wanted to know if I wanted these
things.....if not he was going to put it on the net!!! Well....about 5
minutes later...I was back on the road again, and headed for Utica, Mich.
Another 4 hour Roadtrip, but man...what a reward!! I couldn't get there
fast enough!!

Upon arrival I was treated to a matching set of Clegg VHF Twins, complete
with the 80 pound Power/Modulator supply and all original
manuals.....although I don't think the Transmitter manual is complete...so
I may need some help if anyone has a Complete Zeus Manual. The overall
condition of the set is about a 7-8 out of 10......after clean-up should be
even better. The front Panels are real Clean...and in Excellent physical
shape. Gary had not had a chance to fire them up...so they are
untested....but I'll worry about that later. If I get these babies
working....it puts out a whopping 100 Watts plus on AM. That's well over 10
times what my Clegg 22'er does on AM.

I'm way too tired to do much with it tonight.....so it will have to wait
til I find some time to play around with it...and see what it's doing
electrically. I'll probably clean them up good first anyway.

In the meantime...if anyone else on the list has one of these
Monsters...I'd be real happy to hear from you. Any comments you may have on
their operation, performance, tips etc. would be appreciated. I have been
collecting Boatanchors for over 20 years...and this is "The ONLY" set of
Clegg Twins I have ever seen....period...so I would tend to think they are
rather hard to find??? With an Original Price of over $1,000.00 in 1962...I
wouldn't think there was a lot of them sold?? That would be a pretty hefty
price for a VHF setup...especially back then.

If you know anything about these guys...please let me hear from you. I'll
get back to the list as soon as I have had time to snoop around inside of
them.

Thanks....Regards/73.....ROB.

Robert S. Ross  VA3SW
London, Ontario, CANADA

radiorob at serix.com
va3sw at rac.ca

Radio DX'er
Antique Radio Enthusiast

 Hot Tubes....Heavy Radios...and Chrome Microphones!!!

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS