HQ-110 questions...

Dave nyet at IX.NETCOM.COM
Tue Mar 31 19:32:58 EST 1998

Hello all,

I have just acquired a really nice old boatanchor,
of which I fished for opinions last week - a Gonset
GSB-100.  Got it home and it fired right up (thanks
Kevin!).  Seems to be a VERY solid VFO and good rig
overall, although I haven't done much more than tune
it up so far.

I have paired it with my old HQ-110, which seems to
work ok.  But I wonder if anyone is familiar with
this receiver.  I have the following questions:

1. When the AVC is 'ON' I have to run the AF gain all
   the way up for decent speaker volume.  Is this
   normal?

2. CW reception is pretty awful when the AVC is 'OFF'
   and I wonder is this normal as well?  By awful,
   I just mean the note is somewhat raspy, even if the
   RF gain is turned down significantly.  I also would
   describe most signals as 'wispy' or 'thin' as
   compared to a Major receiver such as Collins or
   Drake.  But I notice this on alot of my older receivers,
   such as the HQ-100, Knight R100, HR10, and others.

3. Since I am lacking a manual for the 110, does it
   have a product detector?  Or is the 'SSB' label
   on the function switch 'wishful thinking' 1956 style?
   It does tune sideband quite well, tho.  VERY easy
   tuning, period.

4. Does anyone by chance have a manual they could copy?
   I know W7FG et. al. have a zillion of them, but
   thought there might be a local who could zap a copy
   and I could pay the copy and postage cost.

5. Lastly, anyone here ever use the HQ-110 as their main
   receiver?  Seems like a pretty decent receiver overall,
   given the era it was designed.  It ain't my 75S3 by
   a long shot, but still works ok.  Any anecdotes would
   be nice to hear.  What transmitter(s) did you pair it
   with?

Thank you all for a great forum!

If you check my web page in a few days, I hope to have the
newly built GSB-100/HQ-110 operating postion posted in the
'More Photos' page.  I currently have a photo of the GSB-100
on the 'New Goodies' page, if you want to see it.

Take care,

Dave WB7AWK
http://www.boatanchors.com
dave at boatanchors.com