Old solid state VHF marine rig

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at PDQ.NET
Sun May 10 23:01:10 EDT 1998

At 05:25 PM 5/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I recently acquired a  Standard Horizon Explorer II marine VHF FM
>xcvr that I am going to try to modify for 2m  on the local repeater.
>
>NOW I find that those rubber covers on
>the front-panel are ACTUALLY push buttons for membrane switches and
>this baby looks like it is actually synthesized on several channels,
>hmmmm. Uses about 5 crystals total in there. Anyone have any
>experience moving these jewels or other similar radios onto the 2m
>band?

Sorry Bry, Can't help you on this one. Only modified (moved down) a
Motorola HT-220 from marine band (156 mhz) to two meters about 6 years ago
after my dad got a Saber 2 from his harbor pilot office. I just took one of
the radio's plus some nicads & a charger from the office before they turned
in all the old HT-220's for resale. Nobody minded me having one and thats
how I got my 2M HT on the cheap. (a. k. a. free)

Some help from the local Motorola repair place and I had my 6 channel HT
going on 5 repeaters plus 146.52 simplex. Not bad for a 1W/5W radio!

bratcher at pdq.net
Record collector, 8mm, super 8, 16 and 35mm Film collector.
Looking for prerecorded reel to reel tape albums.
I like old radio's too.
Collins, Hallicrafters, National & Hammarlund are my Favorites!

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS