WTB: Manual, power supply for Hammarlund SuperPro

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue May 12 10:12:18 EDT 1998

Doug:  There were several models of the Super Pro, including the
BC-779-A & B, BC-794-A & B, BC-1004-B, C &
D, R-129/U, etc. The BC779 is probably the most common one around
today.  I recall that one model covered from below the AM broadcast band
up to about 20 MHz, and another covered from somewhere in the upper part
of the AM BC band to a bit over 30 MHz.  This will be obvious from the
MHz markings on the tuning dial on the one you have.

I don't know where you can get a power supply for one of these.  If you
are not concerned with keeping it in pristine original condition, there
is an excellent modification article (not to be attempted by the
novice!) in CQ magazine, April, 1961, beginning on page 38.  Anyone wh
intends actually to use this RX would be well advised to do the mods,
because, despite being built like battleships, these unit suffer from
drift that is excessive for today's use, and a flock of other
deficiencies.  The mods in CQ are:

1.  Construction of a new audio system and squelch, a self-contained
power supply using silicon diodes, which cures the raspy, distorted
audio and cuts down on drift-producing heat.

2.  A product detector and regulated BFO.

3.  The entire RF section is rebuilt, using a new cascode 1st RF stage,
a grounded-grid 2nd RF amp, and twin-triodes in the mixer and oscillator
stages, also voltage regulated.

4.  An antenna trimmer capacitor, I.F. Gain Control, and crystal
calibrator switch installation.

5.  Infinite impedance second detector, audio & noise limiter.

6.  A 100-KHz crystal calibrator.

7.  A "T" Notch Filter.

8.  A crustal-control;led converter for the series of receivers
mentioned above that do not cover the 10 and 15-meter bands.

9.  Minor fixes, such as installing an S)-239 coax receptacle for the
antenna connection, plus auxiliary AC outlet and a fuse holder.

The mods run to about 11 pages, and the task is very daunting, but also
very worthwhile.  I have one with this mod, and it was worth every bit
of the sweat, strain and brain-pounding it took to do it back in the
60s.

You should also get the original military manuals for these sets/  What
you need is:

T.O. 31R1-3BC779-1 (Formerly T.O. 16-40BC-779-5), (ARMY) TM-11-866,
Basic & Changes Nos. 1,2,3, & 4.

The T.O. 31R1-3BC-779-1 is dated Feb. 1948.  Change 1 is dated 20 May
49.  Change 2, 20 Sep 49, Change 3, 8 Apr 53, Change 4, 6 Apr 54.

It is possible Fair Radio has this manual, but I am not sure.

Mine is put together in a bolted together book form, and is so old and
brittle I don't dare take it apart to copy it, and due to the way it's
made, I can't copy it as it is.  Also, it runs to about 136 pages,
including many multi-page foldouts, which I couldn't copy successfully,
anyway.

I hope this info is of some help.

73, Keith

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov