WTB: Manual, power supply for Hammarlund SuperPro

Ken Beach ken at BEACH.MV.COM
Tue May 12 22:44:32 EDT 1998

Keith Rowland wrote:

> Doug:  There were several models of the Super Pro, including the
> BC-779-A & B, BC-794-A & B, BC-1004-B, C &
> D, R-129/U, etc. The BC779 is probably the most common one around
> today.  I recall that one model covered from below the AM broadcast band
> up to about 20 MHz, and another covered from somewhere in the upper part
> of the AM BC band to a bit over 30 MHz.  This will be obvious from the
> MHz markings on the tuning dial on the one you have.
>
> I don't know where you can get a power supply for one of these.  If you
> are not concerned with keeping it in pristine original condition, there
> is an excellent modification article (not to be attempted by the
> novice!) in CQ magazine, April, 1961, beginning on page 38.  Anyone wh
> intends actually to use this RX would be well advised to do the mods,
> because, despite being built like battleships, these unit suffer from
> drift that is excessive for today's use, and a flock of other
> deficiencies.  The mods in CQ are:

Keith,
        Do you still have a copy of this article?  If you do I will cover costs
of copying and mailing.

Ken Beach

> 1.  Construction of a new audio system and squelch, a self-contained
> power supply using silicon diodes, which cures the raspy, distorted
> audio and cuts down on drift-producing heat.
>
> 2.  A product detector and regulated BFO.
>
> 3.  The entire RF section is rebuilt, using a new cascode 1st RF stage,
> a grounded-grid 2nd RF amp, and twin-triodes in the mixer and oscillator
> stages, also voltage regulated.
>
> 4.  An antenna trimmer capacitor, I.F. Gain Control, and crystal
> calibrator switch installation.
>
> 5.  Infinite impedance second detector, audio & noise limiter.
>
> 6.  A 100-KHz crystal calibrator.
>
> 7.  A "T" Notch Filter.
>
> 8.  A crustal-control;led converter for the series of receivers
> mentioned above that do not cover the 10 and 15-meter bands.
>
> 9.  Minor fixes, such as installing an S)-239 coax receptacle for the
> antenna connection, plus auxiliary AC outlet and a fuse holder.
>
> The mods run to about 11 pages, and the task is very daunting, but also
> very worthwhile.  I have one with this mod, and it was worth every bit
> of the sweat, strain and brain-pounding it took to do it back in the
> 60s.
>
> You should also get the original military manuals for these sets/  What
> you need is:
>
> T.O. 31R1-3BC779-1 (Formerly T.O. 16-40BC-779-5), (ARMY) TM-11-866,
> Basic & Changes Nos. 1,2,3, & 4.
>
> The T.O. 31R1-3BC-779-1 is dated Feb. 1948.  Change 1 is dated 20 May
> 49.  Change 2, 20 Sep 49, Change 3, 8 Apr 53, Change 4, 6 Apr 54.
>
> It is possible Fair Radio has this manual, but I am not sure.

I bought a manual from A.G. Tannenbaum P.O. Box 386 Ambler PA 19002
Phone 215-540-8055 Fax 215-540-8327.  I think he wanted $17.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS