The most unusual 'anchor that's ever followed me home

Joe Buch joseph.buch at DOL.NET
Wed May 27 12:51:23 EDT 1998

At 05:43 5/27/98 -1000, you wrote:
>Yesterday, a Federal Signal Corp. "air-raid" siren somehow ended
>up in my garage - all 400 pounds of it. Model SD-10, 10 hp 240
>VAC single phase motor driving an aluminum rotor.
>The plate also says "F.L. Amps 54." (What is "F.L."?)

My guess is that the motor is rated to draw 54 Amps at "Full Load".

>One question - how do I apply 3-phase 240vac to a single-phase
>motor?

There is no such thing as 240VAC 3 phase in standard USA electrical
systems. If you only have 3 phase power available, connect the motor across
the hot legs of two phases.  This will get you 208VAC. Good enough for
government work, but put an equivalent load on the unused phase to avoid
large neutral currents.

The motor was intended to run on single phase power like that you probably
have coming into your house.  For residential service you have a
transformer belonging to the power company with a center-tapped secondary.
The secondary is rated at 240 VAC with 120 VAC on each side of the center
tap that is normally grounded at the pole and again at the service
entrance.  If you have this kind of service, connect the motor across the
two hot legs of the feeder.

Make sure you have a 100 Amp service properly fused or do not try this at
home.  You will really be a hit in your neighborhood at 3 AM.

                                                 _____
                                                /     \
                                               {) o o (}
                                         _____oOO_(.)_OOo______
On the keyboard of life,                |  _               _  |
always keep one finger on the escape key| |_| @ @  @  @ @ |_| |
~*-.,_,.-*~'^'~*-.,_,.-*~'^'~*-.,_,.-*~'|      @ _____ @      |
Joe Buch                                |  @  @ |     |  @    |
Amateur Radio N2JB                      |       |_____|       |