[R-390] What is a Vet?

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Wed Nov 11 15:10:27 EST 1998

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Richard E. Robinson wrote:

> > He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now
> > and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and
> > who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when
> > the nightmares come.
>
> Would you believe that a member of this list argued with me that Nazi death
> camps did not exist?  I offered to introduce him to Joe, W4AMO, a member of
> Patton's Third Army who was there and saw and smelled the piles of rotting
> bodies.  The ignorant may deny it, but Joe's generation knows first hand
> the horror of the Nazi war machine.
>
> I remember being at Keesler AFB in electronics tech school in 1969 and
> watching Red Cross jets unload caskets from VietNam.  I have more than one
> friend on "The Wall", and I'll never forget them.

        The first high school that I went to was brand new, and the
senior class consisted of four men.  Three of them are on that wall.
The principal would not allow the recruiters back in after that.

        Yes, it's Veteran's Day.  I'm wearing my last rank under my
shirt collar.  I earned 'em, I'll wear 'em.

     ,----------------------.       Circuit Design for the
    /    What's all this     \            RF Impaired
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'        Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                               Principal Engineer
 oo\                                 ATG Design Services
(__)\       _                          P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                  Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     Technical Editor,
     .       (  ) \                      QRP Quarterly
      '-| )__| :.  \                     QRP ARCI 9464
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__      Email:  ctrask at primenet.com
                               http://www.primenet.com/~ctrask

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov