The 3/1/99 Problem

Nolan Lee nlee at GS.VERIO.NET
Fri Sep 18 13:12:06 EDT 1998

At 04:31 PM 9/17/98 -1000, you wrote:

>annals of radio history are many, but one particular comes to mind; when a
>young Russian immigrant, David Sarnoff, copied the dots and dashes of the

The same "General" David Sarnoff that drove Armstrong to suicide. If
you get a chance, read a bit about this guy, he was one evil bastard.
"Empire of the Air" is one book that comes to mind.

>distress message from the ill-fated SS Titanic. As most of us know, Sarnoff
>went off to become the head of RCA and probably did more to bring television
>into the homes of Americans than any other industry leader, but that is
how he
>got his start.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I seem to remember that
there was a good chance that HE was off and wasn't even working at the
time that the distress call came. Still an evil bastard. I watch a total
of about 2 hours of TV a week. I have lots of free time to do other
stuff. Average person gets home from work and flops down in front of
the TV till it's time to go to bed. Total waste of time, and they never
get anything done, not to mention all of the liberal programming and mental
conditioning that has contributed to the decline of morals and morality
in this Republic.

Sarnoff was evil. Sarnoff pushed TV. TV is evil...

>  The IMO says, "Morse code is being phased out because of its many
drawbacks.
>These include the need for years of training and practice for operators to
use
>it." The truth hurts, but the IMO says that if something happened to the
radio
>operator, it is unlikely that anyone else onboard a ship would be able to use
>the telegraphy equipment.

<ROTFL> I love their reasoning. Face it, the code is dead, there are
much more efficient methods of communication. Actually, ham radio is
dead if you get right down to it. I hold the hard line "code requirement"
people to blame for this. As the numbers of licensed hams continue to
drop, more of the spectrum will be lost, but who cares, we still have
"the code". Maybe we need a secret handshake too! Sheesh... Another
thing to consider that ham radio peaked before everyone had a TV in
their house to eat up their time.

I guess that indirectly, you can blame Sarnoff for the failure of
ham radio and the failure of American society as a whole. Hopefully
he's burning in hell along with DeForest. <grin>

yes, I passed the code test,
nolan

Treasonous government officials should have their bronzed,
severed heads displayed on poles in Washington D.C., or
their respective state capitals, as a promise of justice
to all future generations.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS