Submarine Signal Company

Sandy W5TVW ebjr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sun Feb 14 20:52:25 EST 1999

At 06:01 PM 2/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>    Curiosity has got me asking if the Submarine Signal Company was a
>> manufacturer of radio equipment, or is it a transformer maker only?  I
>> have not heard of them before. Has anyone knowledge of the company and
>> did they specialize in radio gear for sumarines as the name would imply?
>
>Submarine Signal made a majority of the sonar sets for the Navy. They also
>dabbled in radar (models SF and SU, I think).
>
>William Donzelli
>william at ans.net

        Submarine Signal made "echo" sounders or "fathometers" (a Raytheon
registered name, I think!).  Some were quite ancient in the 1970's and 1980's!
They also made some rotating loop direction finding receivers.  These
were the old style D/F stands with the "steering wheel" to turn the loop.
To a landlubber, they might look like some kind of ship's steering stand
only they were usually mounted in the chartroom!  Seems like the last one
I saw was on a T2 tanker or a Victory ship.
        I think the name came from specialization in the "submarine signal"
aspects of it, literally, sonar and depth or bottom echo sounding.
73,
E. V. Sandy Blaize, W5TVW
"Boat Anchors collected, restored, repaired, traded and used!"
417 Ridgewood Drive
Metairie, LA., 70001

********* W A N T E D ! !   W A N T E D ! !*********
****** Transmitter/Receiver  RT-46/TRC-10 ******