Milled (?) Lettering in Wrinkle Paint

Warren D. Anderson wdaorcda at USINTERNET.COM
Thu Jul 8 23:56:34 EDT 1999

I'm not a military collector, but I do have a National RCE and 3 National RCP
receivers (NC-100's modified by contractors) that seem to be engraved.  On the
RCE, it looks like the engraving machine or operator lifted for a moment because
the "2" in the 2.8 mc upper band limit is partially filled with wrinkle paint.
For controls that require a reference point (AF gain, RF gain) the point has
been made with what appears to be a drill bit.  Two of the RCP's appear to have
the "labels" filled with what was white paint.

Going back to 30's technology, and maybe Fred Holnagel can help here, my ancient
Super Pro's (SP-10X and SP-110X) with wrinkle paint appear to have been engraved
and the engraving has white paint for the controls.  How was that done?!  I assume
it must have been a relatively inexpensive technique, but a step up from the
silkscreen process?

A wrinkled (possibly engraved) 73 to all who are curious about this stuff ;-),

Warren

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS