Why Repaint ???

Ron kc4yoy at TRELLIS.NET
Wed Jun 16 18:10:25 EDT 1999

Hello to Emile and the Group,

I AGREE with you completely. I have never understood why some (most)
collectors want a set to look (almost) like it just came from the factory.
I have seen VERY few BA's that had been repainted that didn't LOOK
repainted. This goes for wooden cabinet sets even more. Ware makes
from use, faded paint, crazing & gatoring of old finishes is just part
of the sets history.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, rust, peeling paint, loose
veneer, etc. all lead to the destruction of a set and should be corrected.

Through cleaning and waxing to preserve the original finish and STOP
deterioration is ALL that is needed.

73,

Ron KC4YOY
Chapter President, CC-AWA

> Hi,
>        So, I have been "Reading the Mail" for months and not been
motivated to
> speak, until now.  What is the "deal" with repainting and making an old
(at
> least 40 years) Radio look like it just came out of the factory.  Who
started
> that anyway?  Must have been the Collins folks, who can't stand it if
they have
> a scratch on an "S" line piece.  To me, it is more important to have it
operate
> like new than worry about a few scratches here and there.  Are we saying
that
> the ultimate 'Boatanchor' is one that has been completely redone to
appear like
> new?
>        I have a Ranger that has some scratches. I didn't put them there,
but I
> don't worry about it because it is 'ORIGINAL'. No one has resprayed it,
etc.  It
> works well and to me it has a lot of character.  I have seen equipment
that is
> desperate, and needs rust removal and major restoration as part of the
process
> to get it working, but for the average piece that is just 'USED' why
repaint
> anything.
>        OK, I am preparing myself for the onslaught, so lay it on me.  I
know "To
> each his own" and "Opinions are like --------s, everybody has one".  Oh
BTW,

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov