[ham-hist] Shore station licenses?

Dick Dillman ddillman at IGC.APC.ORG
Fri Jun 18 22:22:41 EDT 1999

At 03:46 PM 6/18/99 -1000, Jeffrey Herman, KH6O wrote:

>Is the FCC still issuing licenses to shore stations? I'm in the process
>of acquiring a 500 kc xmtr; I'd like to set up a fully operational sta-
>tion. Being located in the Central Pacific, I might even be able to snag
>some traffic from ships in the Southern and Western Pacific, where 500 kc
>is still utilized. I'd be the lone op in the Central Pacific still keeping
>a watch on 500...

*Now* you're talkin' Jeff.  I believe the FCC is still licensing public
coast stations as the recent events at Globe Wireless indicate.  True, the
purchased existing licenses rather than making application for a new
station.  But there is certainly still a spot on the form asking if the
coast station you want to establish will be open for public correspondence.
The requirements are a bit more strict than for a limited coast station.
You have to show financial capability to run the station and you should
probably apply in the name of a corporation (not too hard to create) rather
than an individual.  I say go for it... but don't wait too long.  I just
renewed my commercial telegraph license and noted that you can't even take
the test for a new telegraph license any more.  So they may pull the plug on
new coast stations using Morse as well.  Keep us posted.

Vy 73,

Dick/"RD"

                           Dick Dillman, W6AWO
     Chief Operator at K6KPH of the Maritime Radio Historical Society
                        Collector Of Heavy Metal:
                 Harleys, Willys and Radios Over 100lbs.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov