NC-183 Advise Needed

Bob Maser w6tr at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Jun 25 21:14:42 EDT 1999

I am a brand new member of Boatanchors and a new owner of a NC-183D,  which is in transit at this time.  This radio was the first radio that I really coveted back in the 50's.  At that time, all I could afford was a 173.  My question is: this radio hasn't been lit up for 20 years, according to the seller and I wonder if it would be best to re cap the whole thing before even lighting it up or should I just bring it up slowly with a variac and give it the smoke test.  I would like some guidance.
Bob W6TR in Riverside