"JACKSON BROS. CO---73"

Edward Swynar VE3 CUI gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Tue Nov 2 05:24:02 EST 1999

Fellow homebrewers / radio restorers:

I received distressing news yesterday, about the demise of one of the
absolute LAST quality manufacturers of vernier dials / scales /planetary
drives, as applicable to radio construction...

According to BARRY DIAMOND ("UHF Technologies"), "Jackson Brothers" of
England went bankrupt exactly one year ago this month. The company was NOT
saved, & its assets / inventory have been claimed by various big-time
distributors / liquidators, like his.

It seems a lack of demand for analog hardware (the largest, most recent
customer to cancel orders was Heathkit) spelled doom for this company.

UHF Technologies still has ample stock of common drives like the "4511 DAF"
 unit---others are available, but on a limited scale. They prefer large
orders (12 - 20 pieces), but may entertain smaller ones. O.E.M. orders are
out of the question, due to their finite supply situation.

If you're desperate to find out more about what you still can, & can no
longer,  purchase, I suggest you contact Barry Diamond at (561) 883-0475
(the company recently re-located from Colorado to Florida). Alternatively,
you may e-mail your requests to him directly via >>>bdiam19073 at aol.com<<<

As for me, I'm going to start hoarding any & all vernier dials / planetary
drives I see at hamfests, etc.---this comodity is a lot like real estate:
"...They just ain't makin' it no more!" Hi Hi

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ