Need opinion on SX-117

WF2U mbendror at VILLAGENET.COM
Tue Nov 23 21:57:43 EST 1999

If you put an SX-115 and an SX-117 side by side with the same antenna, you
wouldn't notice any difference in reception. (Maybe on the test bench, with
proper instrumentation you can find miniscule differences). The SX-117 is
simply a less expensive version of the SX-115 with very similar circuitry
and mechanically of somewhat less robust construction.
The "117" is a great performer, extremely "quiet" and sensitive receiver,
very smooth tuning and good audio, with nice selectivity. The matching
transmitter, the HT-44 is also a nice-sounding rig, can be operated as a
transceiver with the SX-117 (similar to the way the Drake twins can
transceive with one frequency control). I personally find the SX-117/HT-44
combo an excellently performing and esthetically attractive vintage
station - and a good value for the average going price.  I'm enjoying
mine...
BTW I don't think it looks anything like a Hammarlund...

73 de Meir, WF2U

-----Original Message-----
From:   Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of DavidC
Sent:   Tuesday, November 23, 1999 8:25 PM
To:     BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject:        Re: Need opinion on SX-117

According to Ostermans it looks very different than the rigs
that preceeded it.  Looks much more like a Hammarlund than
a Hallicrafters.

Features:  triple conv., hybrid mostly tubes plus 4 silicon diodes,
$100. - $200. used, commonly available ... now if it were a
SX-115 ... then you'd have something!  ;-)

Reviews in QST May 1963 and Aug. 1964

- 73, DavidC  K1YP