grounded xmit ant vs ungrounded

Lane Zeitler Ku7i at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Jan 22 13:29:20 EST 2000

Noticed something interesting today. When listening on the 5 foot per side 160 meter shielded loop:

1. grounding the xmit ant (elevated inverted-L) raises the rcv signal strength level by as much as 4 s units while REDUCING the noise even further.

2. ungrounding the xmit ant while still rcving on the loop of course causes the signal strength to go back down 3 to 4 s units and INCREASES the noise.

Soooooo is this not uncommon? Are any of you seeing something similar with your various types of rcv antennas? Grounding the xmit ant while receiving on the loop seems to be a real big deal. At least at this QTH. Mutual coupling of some sort. I have several unused sets of contacts on the master switching ceramic relay that I can incorporate into the switching scheme to allow me to automatically ground the xmit ant if receiving on another antenna. Interesting stuff this Top Band. Very interesting.

Comments welcome.

Lane
Ku7i